Tens Dead, Hundreds Wounded as ISIS Attacks Brussels

March 22, 2016

The city of Brussels was rocked Tuesday morning by multiple explosions that killed at least 30 people and wounded another 230. Two of the explosions happened at the Brussels airport while the other took place at the metro station, where much of the city’s traffic flows through in the morning.

“We were fearing terrorist attacks, and that has now happened,” stated Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel as he addressed the media earlier today.

 

The Belgian government issued a statement this morning stating that, of the casualties and the injuries, ten were killed and 100 were injured at the airport while 20 were killed and 130 were injured at the metro station.

 

ISIS has since claimed responsibility for these attacks and issued the following statement online:

 

“Islamic State fighters carried out a series of bombings with explosive belts and devices on Tuesday, targeting an airport and a central metro station in the center of the Belgian capital Brussels, a country participating in the international coalition against the Islamic State. Islamic State fighters opened fire inside Zaventem Airport, before several of them detonated their explosive belts, as a martyrdom bomber detonated his explosive belt in the Maalbeek metro station. The attacks resulted in more than 230 dead and wounded.”

 

Eyewitness accounts from both the airport and the metro station immediately began coming in. CNN had the opportunity to speak with several eyewitnesses who recalled what they witnessed after the attacks.

 

Richard Medic was at the metro station shortly after the explosion and said he wasn’t surprised by the carnage after seeing everything that Europe has gone through recently. While speaking to CNN, he said, “I think, after the Parris attacks, we were assuming something like this would happen. And it was a matter of time.”

 

President Obama condemned the attacks this morning while speaking at the Gran Teatro in Havana as part of his trip to Cuba.

 

“This is yet another reminder that the world must unite. We must be together, regardless of nationality or race or faith, in fighting against the scourge of terrorism. We can and we will defeat those who threaten the safety and security of people all around the world.”

As of this afternoon, Belgian officials have released a photo from the airport surveillance videos of three men that they believe may be responsible for the attacks carried out at the airport (which can be seen above). The two men on the left of the photo were killed in the attacks but authorities are actively seeking the man on the right. Their names have not been released as of now.

 

Police in Belgium have launched several raids on multiple locations throughout the country in attempt to search for suspects and information regarding the terror attacks from earlier this morning.

Please reload

@usf_encounter tweets: