Kevin Spacey Faces Sexual Assault Allegations

November 14, 2017

 

On November 3, Netflix executives released a statement that actor Kevin Spacey will not be appearing in the sixth and final season of House of Cards.

 

In the statement, a Netflix representative said, “Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey.”

 

The streaming service also announced that Gore, a biographical film about Gore Vidal, produced by and starring Kevin Spacey, originally supposed to be released on Netflix; would also not be moving forward.

 

According to the representative, Netflix will be working with Media Rights Capital (MRC), the independent television studio that produces the political drama, to decide where the show will progress creatively without Spacey’s involvement.

 

This decision comes after production was halted on the show, after several individuals came forward to claim sexual assault against Kevin Spacey.

 

It began with an interview that actor Anthony Rapp (Rent, Star Trek: Discovery), did with BuzzFeed News published on October 29th.

 

In the interview, Rapp alleges that he went to a party at the actor’s house when he was 14-years-old. After the guests had left, Spacey went to find Rapp, who was alone in his bedroom. He then:

 

“[…] picked me up like a groom picks up the bride over the threshold. But I don't, like, squirm away initially, because I'm like, 'What's going on?' And then he lays down on top of me.”

 

Rapp, who is gay, told BuzzFeed News, that at the time he did not tell his mother about the incident because, “it would have meant a larger discussion about his own sexual orientation at 14, and he wasn't ready to do that.”

 

Once the story broke, Spacey took to Twitter to apologize for his actions, saying:

 

“[…] if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years.

 

In his statement, Spacey also came out as gay.

 

This move saw mixed reactions from Hollywood stars such as Billy Eichner, Wanda Sykes and Zachary Quinto. All believed Spacey had chosen to come out to deflect attention away from Rapp’s allegations.

 

Soon though, more allegations would surface as eight House of Cards staffers claimed that Spacey had made the set “a toxic workplace,” and had been, “targeting staffers who were typically young and male with nonconsensual touching and crude comments,” according to the Associated Press.

 

The Associated Press reports that since these allegations have come to light, Kevin Spacey’s agent and publicist are no longer representing him. Production on House of Cards, which had begun filming, has been suspended until further notice, according to Netflix.

 

 

 

 

Please reload

@usf_encounter tweets: